Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Is this normal?

I've been plugging away at the Tempting sweater and it's looking great so far, but I've run into some "snags" (aka knots) with my Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran yarn. I've knit two balls so far and both of them had a knot (as seen below) about halfway through the ball. When I encountered the first knot, I thought maybe it was just a freak accident that happened in the factory, but then there was a second knot in the second skein and I'm not very impressed. The knot has two broken ends knotted together, so I have to untie the knot and now I'm going to have twice the number of ends to weave in. Argh! I figured yarn that cost almost $11 CDN a ball wouldn't have any dumb knots in it. Anyone else encounter this problem with this kind of yarn?

After knitting two balls, I have eight inches of sweater knitted. Besides the irritating knots, the yarn is buttery soft and I love the colour. Many non-knitters have commented that the sweater looks small but they don't realize that 2x2 rib stretches immensely. I'm knitting the smallest size, so I hope it'll fit!


EDIT: After a wee bit of Googling, I have found out that knots in DB Cashmerino Aran are rather common. Sad, but true.