Wednesday, September 26, 2007

FO: Charming handbag

Making that Artsy Clutch and getting all that fabric from Gramie really spurred my sewing mojo. Yesterday, I sat down and started making the Charming Handbag, also from Amy Karol's Bend-the-Rules Sewing.


All of the fabric is from Gramie's closet and the buttons are from her button drawer. Aren't they cute?



This is the most complicated thing I've ever sewn. I'm definitely a novice seamstress, so my seam ripper came in very handy yesterday. I must have sewn every stitch on this handbag twice. But you know what? I don't really mind. It was worth learning from my mistakes and I'm so glad I ripped the ugly bits and re-did them. It makes for a much nicer bag.


I had a little bit of trouble with some puckering around the "U" shaped top, as you can see below. I tried to keep the puckering to a minimum, but I wasn't able to eliminate it altogether. Any idea what I could have done to prevent it?


Verdict: I love this bag and I'm definitely keeping it for myself. Expect much more sewing from me in the future but don't worry, I haven't given up on knitting. I actually have a big project I have yet to blog about and I recently joined Ravelry! It's everything I hoped it would be. You can find me there as knittinging.

2 comments:

  1. It seems I always sneak a peek at your blog during lunch hour and never get a chance to comment...

    Great job on the bag.

    Tip for "puckering": cut into the seam allowance (little snips, perpendicular to the seam) to allow it to "bend". You can see an example of it in the photo entitled "Trimming" in this "tutowlrial": http://moonstitches.typepad.com/photos/tutowlrial/index.html

    U-handblog has some great tutorials for sewing handbags. In particular, one for a little shopping tote: http://u-handbag.typepad.com/uhandblog/

    ReplyDelete
  2. That bag turned out so cute!
    I have yet to venture into sewing. I did it when I was little and had my Grandma to thread the machine for me, but now it scares me, lol. The machine just sits lonely in the closet.
    I admire your sewing courage!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!