Thursday, September 17, 2009

A warm blankie for the newt

It didn't take long to finish the newt's blanket and, since I finished it on a sunny day, I dunked it in the sink and spread it out on the patio to block in the sun. It was dry and ready to photograph in no time.
yip016 - the newt's blanket
Pattern: Baby Chalice Blanket by Lykkefanten
Materials: 3 skeins of Green Label Tanis Fiber Arts in Spearmint
Needles: US 10.5/6.5 mm
Started: August 29, 2009
Finished: September 16, 2009
Raveled here

Mods: I cast on an extra 20 stitches for two more pattern repeats after reading that the blanket is rather narrow. I wanted to end up with a square blanket and I accomplished that.
The newt's blanket
I really like the way this turned out. It's really soft and squishy and will be nice and warm this winter. The lace pattern is pretty and simple, and the colour! I'm a fan of turquoise.

And I seem to be forcing my colour preference onto the unborn. I whipped up a little snuggly swaddler for the newt on Sunday from a turquoise Echino damask and white flannel. The pattern is from Lotta Jansdotter's Simple Sewing for Baby. Very smart design -- you stick the baby's feet in the bottom pocket and wrap the two velcro-ed flaps around the baby. I hope it works!
Baby Burrito
I learned an important lesson whilst sewing this. Now that my body is changing, I need to stop cutting my fabric on the floor and move to a table. I had an awful backache after spending an hour or so plunked down on the floor and bent over my cutting mat. Ouch!