Thursday, January 24, 2013

spinning yarns

I bought this beauty at Rhinebeck 2012. The colours just grabbed me.

Rhinebeck spoils
It's Misty Mountain Farm BFL in rainforest. Gorgeous, no? I really didn't want to screw up spinning this into yarn, so I waited until I finished taking the Spinning with Dyed Fibers course on Craftsy before I decided how exactly I would maintain the pretty colours. The course was fabulous. I learned so much about the different ways one can play with colour when spinning dyed fibres. Really, I had no idea there were so many possibilities. Craftsy sometimes has amazing sales, so if you can wait until classes are half-price (or even less!), do so!

So, I decided to try my hand at fractal spinning and this is the result!
Handspun! 
218 yards of perfection. Well, it may be a little lumpy, but it's perfect to me.

I couldn't wait to start knitting to see how the colours would manifest! In under 24 hours, I had this beauty in my crafty little hands.
Handspun kerchief
Pattern: The Age of Brass and Steam Kerchief by Orange Flower
Needles: US8/5mm
Started: January 21, 2013
Finished: January 22, 2013
raveled
Handspun kerchief
The only modification I made was to add an extra two rows of the garter edge before casting off. I had some extra yarn and wanted to use up as much of it as possible.
Handspun kerchief
This kerchief has not left my neck since I finished it. It's been really chilly out, so it keeps me warm, and I just love the way it looks. The colours slowly shift from aqua to a more marled mauve and then to gold. As I said: perfection!